Curriculum Dr. Palmaz Julio - Clinical Professor, Department of Radiology, The University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio
- He received his M.D. in 1971 from the National University of La Plata, Argentina
- He joined the San Martin University Hospital in La Plata to practice vascular radiology in 1974 - He moved with his family to the United States in 1977 and spent three years training in radiology at the University of California at Davis' Martinez Veterans Administration Medical Center
- He has worked as Chief of Angiography and Special Procedures in the radiology department at the University of Texas Health and Science Center at San Antonio (UTHSCSA) since 1983
- He currently holds the Ashbel Smith Professorship as a tenured Professor at UTHSCSA
- He is known for inventing the balloon-expandable stent, for which he received a patent in 1988. It was recognized in Intellectual Property International Magazine as one of “Ten Patents that Changed the World” in the last century.
- His early stent research artifacts are now part of the medical collection of the Smithsonian Institution in Washington, DC
Publicación: Septiembre - Noviembre/2009